Richards Reflections

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Terry the Triathlete

"Next time you see me, I'll be a triathlete!"

This past weekend we were quite busy! Terry competed and completed his very first triathlon. He and Bella and I went down to the park Friday night to park his bike. Always a plus was an enormous playground. Bella got to play for a bit while Daddy figured all his stuff out. After we finished that we met Mom and Dad and the Cheesecake Factory! YUM! That's a good pregame meal for the athlete and the spectators! The tri was in The Woodlands so we didn't have to travel far but we still went up and spent the night since we had to be there so early Saturday morning.

Terry left at about 5:45 to get started. Bella, Mom, Dad and I left at about 6:50. It worked out great because we got there a few minutes before Terry's wave started and we were able to see him coming out of the water.
He came out of the water and promptly gave me this precious look. The swim was 500 meters. I would have died. Like sunk to the bottom of the lake. He was in good spirits and headed to get on his bike.
Luckily I knew where his bike was parked and this is where he transitioned into each leg. His bike was on the end near a grassy area so we hung out there and were able to see him after each transition. He said he liked that. I'm glad. The bike ride was 15 miles. Again, I would have died. Like totally dead after the first .5 mile. Not Terry, he was good to go. The only issue he had on the ride part was that he was riding his heavy mountain bike. The guys and gals on street bikes were having a much easier time of it but he was still in good spirits.

Daddy's biggest fan reppin' the Jacks. Ax'Em!
She travels in style wherever she goes.

After he finished his bike ride we got to see him before he started his run. I think he was pretty tired but he pressed on.

Taking off on his 3 mile run. Again, I would have died in the water in the first leg and never made it this far so I was beyond impressed with him at this point.

Terry's fans. Crystal and Donald came to watch him finish. On a side note, Crystal was suppose to compete in this as well. In fact she is the one that got Terry to sign up. She didn't feel prepared so she backed out last minute. Next year she says she is in for sure. I will not be. I am a fabulous cheerer oner and will continue in my roll on the sidelines. On another side note, Terry only swam ONCE prior to the race. Yep, he's a little crazy.

See, I was there!!

YEA!!! for the Daddy!!! he finished his first Triathlon in 1:45:20. He came in right around the middle of his group. Not bad for a rookie. Just imagine what he could have done if he had swam a couple more times. :)


We are so proud of you, Terry!! We had a great time cheering you on!! I have a feeling we will have more chances to cheer you on!!


1 comments:

Hayley said...

This wore me out just reading about it! Congrats to Terry...that's awesome!