Richards Reflections

Monday, July 6, 2009

Welcome to Puerto Rico! Day 1


Well as you all know Terry and I were lucky enough to get to take a big kid trip all by ourselves to Puerto Rico. Our flight was at 11:59 pm on July 5th (Happy Birthday to me!). We left a couple of minutes early so that was good. I knew there was no way I was going to be able to sleep on the plane because I have never been able to (I'm real comfortable with strangers watching me sleep) and I was right. I think I may have slept for 5 minutes on our 4 hour flight. I watched Hotel for Dogs and played on Terry's computer. Terry slept a little more than me but not much. I was actually surprised because he can usually sleep anywhere. We noticed some lightening as we were beginning our decent. YIKES!! It got a little rough but we landed safely. I was so excited and tired and delirious that I didn't care that it was raining. It was about 5:00 am and I hadn't slept in a LONG time. We got off the plane and grabbed our luggage and went to find the shuttle to take us to get our rent car. Terry had secured our car through Alamo so we headed that way. Things are going as planned until we find out that we can't get the car without a "REAL" credit card. WHAT?!? Why can't we use our debit card....or cash for that matter. Sorry, company policy. Well your policy is stupid, thank you very much. We don't use credit cards, they are bad for us so now we are being punished. Thanks alot Alamo!! SOOOO, the very nice man called over to Budget. They take debit cards but they cost $30 more a day. Thanks alot Alamo!!! So we have no choice but to head across the parking lot dragging our luggage behind us to get our expensive rent car. Terry was pretty much livid. If you know Terry, you know that he is VERY laid back when it come to stuff like this. I on the other hand stayed quite calm and decided....it is what it is. We got our car and headed to Fajardo...in the rain. It was crazy driving and I did get a little nervous on the drive. But we got there safely. We did notice that Puerto Ricans drive a little crazy and that Terry fit right in. (He has had to learn to drive on one side, not the middle of the rode since we have returned.) So we found our way to the resort and it was absolutely gorgeous!!! There is a beautiful golf course on the drive in. Terry dropped me off and went to park the car and as I was waiting for him I wondered over to look over the balcony. The following pictures were my first view of this little piece of paradise were the Atlantic meets the Caribbean.

Even with the haze (which we later learned is dust from the Sahara Desert) it was absolutely breath taking. Any stress that I had felt on the drive was totally lifted.

We got all checked in and went to our room. I took off my shoes and the floor was soaked. Oops. The bellhop was frantically calling the front desk and they quickly moved us to a new room. Did I mention we got upgraded to a full ocean view room when we got there? Yep we did so the original view we had was the same view from our room. See pictures above.

I was pretty much running on adrenaline up to this point. It was about 8 am by this time and I needed a shower and possibly a nap. I took the shower and sure enough that king size bed was ever so sweetly calling my name. I passed out for about an hour and half and Terry took his red bull and went exploring. The reason my nap was only and hour and half was because "Red Bull Terry" came back to the room and decided that we needed to go to the beach....NOW!!! So I pulled myself out of bed at a snails pace and got on the ever so dreaded swim suit.
We rode the ferry over to Palamino Island where the beach is for the resort. It is about a 7 minute ride out there.
The island, much like the rest of PR, was beautiful. We hung out over there for a few hours.

We even made some green friends while we were there. There were rabbits there as well which I was VERY confused about. Rabbits on a very small island in the middle of the Atlantic/Caribbean. How did they get there? Can they swim? Did someone loose their pets? IDK!!
Terry really loved the water. It was nice and warm. Did I mention that the temp outside this day was 85 with a nice breeze? Cause it was very nice. I did get in the water myself and sat right about where Terry is. I liked it even if I did have to wear the dreaded swim suit. P.S. I did end up with a nice front side tan. Some day I will work on the backside.
This was my view from the lounge chair. I liked it a lot. My feet don't look that cute propped up on the ottoman. Just sayin'.
Terry's dirty feet. Did I mention that I don't like sand? Cause I don't. Oh, or salt water. But it was so pretty that I got over it.

We headed back to the resort and had every intention of checking out the night life but I took a nap and when I woke up you wouldn't believe it but The Bachelorette was on and I couldn't wait to see Jilly kick Wes off the show. Terry got us sandwiches and I watched very intently as Wes became the last to not receive a rose. Thank goodness Jillian finally saw the light. And then I went to bed because the next day.......ZIP LINING THROUGH THE RAIN FOREST!!!!

0 comments: