Richards Reflections

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Prayer Request

This morning on my way to church I received a text message from my best friend Niki, telling me that her brother, Michael Ceparano's, girlfriend Erica Smith had been in a head on collision early this morning. I later got word that she has a 50/50 chance of survival. Erica was in and out of surgery all morning. I talked to Niki a few minutes ago and she told me that part of Erica's brain is exposed. She is bleeding from her eyes, nose, and mouth. She has had part of her frontal lobe removed which means if she does make it she will not be the same Erica that we all know. There is a large chance that she will be blind if she is to survive this and she will have to undergo a total of 48 hours of reconstructive surgery.
These next 48 hours of critical to her survival.

How did this happen? A drunk driver was going the wrong way on 410 in San Marcos for 40 minutes. There was a helicopter trying to stop Erica's car but they didn't see it. Police were already on their way but unfortunately they were not there in time to stop this drunk driver from plowing into Erica's side of the car. Two other girls in Erica's car were injured but are ok. The drunk driver walked away and is now sitting in jail.

I have had the privilege of getting to know Erica through Niki and Mike. She is truly a sweet and genuine girl. She is only 23 years old and has so much of her life left to live. She ALWAYS had a smile on her face. In fact when I think of Erica, her smile is what I think about. Please pray for the Smith and Ceparano families as they deal with losing such a sweet and gentle part of their families. Please pray that Erica be comfortable and peaceful through all of this.

Update: 6:17 p.m. Erica has lost one of her eyes. They will do surgery to put it back into the socket.

Update: 6:30 p.m. Erica has a very rare blood type. She is O negative. She is needing 100 units of blood.

I will update as I get them.

0 comments: